Monday, October 24, 2011

Mama Dixie

Last week held a mix of emotions for my family.  Our Mama Dixie, who was 97 made what I know had to be a grand entrance into heaven!  She lived a full life here on earth and for the most part was always healthy.  She was spunky and funny.  Everytime we would walk in her room, there would be a smile on her face. 

I first met Mama Dixie and Papa John (her husband) 22 years ago when I entered into this amazing family.  My husband had a very close relationship with his grandparents.  Once I became a part of the family (which was the moment I met them), I feel in love with these two extraordinary people.  They showed me love and welcomed me in.  Max and I were married at there home.  We had Sunday dinners every week.  Pappa John had cancer and was getting sicker during that first year.  He died about a year after Max and I were married.  I wondered how she would go on without her love.  She did go on and she was strong and independent.  I loved to hear her tell stories about Papa John.  She saw her grand kids grow and marry.  She saw the birth of her great-grandchildren. 

Several years ago Ma Dixie had a stroke and was not able to be by herself.  My mother-in-law always made sure she was taken care of.  She stayed with her when she wasn't working.  Max, Hunter and I would spend the nights with her during the week.  We would watch Wheel Of Fortune and she would always get the puzzles first! 
She would help me cook!  haha  That's a joke, she would tell me how to cook!  She was a very small woman and was always cold so her house was always HOT!  Max and I would race to the thermostat to turn the air on just a soon as we made sure she was in bed!  Hunter loved being there because she spoiled him beyond belief!

There came a time when we all could no longer care for her in her home so she moved to a nursing home.  Within the last year she began to have more health problems.  Last week, my mother-in-law called Max and told him she was not doing well and that we needed to come up to see her.  Max and I went right then.  We could tell when we walked into her room that she looked very different.  She didn't talk to us but she did look at us when we talked to her.  She smiled a few times but she mostly just staired at the corner of the celing.  I watched her as she gazed upward.  Every once in a while her eyes would go wide open and her right eyebrow would go up.  I beleieve that she was seeing things.  Maybe glances of where she was going.  Maybe glances of WHO was there to take her.  Max and I had to take turns being there so Max had a while to be with her by himself.  I am so glad he had that time with the grandmother that he has adored his entire life.  Later that evening I went back up there while Max stayed home with our kids.  Not long after I got there my mother-in-law had to leave for a minute.  Max's brother, his wife and son were also in the room.  I pointed out to my sister-in-law that Ma Dixie was moving her mouth.  She had not been doing that.  Mandie said she was gasping for air.  It was not a violent gasp, just an open and close about 3 times and she was gone.  It was the most peaceful moment.  Her eyes didn't shut but you could tell that she was gone.  She was here, and in an instant, with three breaths, she was gone.  She was still looking up at the corner of the ceiling.  As I looked at her I could see past the small, so small frail body laying in that bed, I could see her dancing with her love.  I have never died so I don't know how it all works.  I know that it's the Lord Who calls us home, but I just know that Daddy God allowed Papa John to have a part in her homecoming!  After a few minutes my mother-in-law came back and as soon as she realized what had happened she sat in the chair beside the bed, and as silent tears rolled down her face she turned off the oxygen machine, removed the tubes from her mother's face, unwrapped the blood pressure cuff from her tiny arm, folded her hands and covered them up.  She stroked her hair and kissed her forehead.  Jane has been by her mother's side everyday.  I have been so inspired at how Jane (my mother-in-law) has cared for her mother.  She always sacrificed her own needs for those of Ma Dixies.  I know how hard it was at times but I also know that she would not have had it any other way.  Taking care of her mother was as natural to her as breathing. 

I was instantly aware of the fact that we would see Ma Dixie again one day!  I thanked God for the promise that this was only going to be a temporary separation.  So for the next few days we gathered as a family and we celebrated a life lived well.  We celebrated Ma Dixie's 97 years lived on this earth and we praised God that she is now HOME and she is now perfect.  Her body holds no disease or hurt!  She is joined with all her loved ones that went home before her.  That is how we are able to go on and live and continue to love each other.  We know it's not a permanent end.  Really, it's just the beginning =)   Oh, how thankful I am to Daddy God that He fills the parts of my heart that hurts with His LOVE and promises.  What an honor it is to have loved and been loved by such a special person. 



                                                            Ma Dixie and Hunter
                                                                Ma Dixie & Hunter
                                            Ma Dixie & Jane   (This was at mine and Max's wedding shower!)
                                             Ma Dixie playing with Hunter! 
                                                                    Max & I with Ma Dixie =)

Papa John, Mama Dixie, Me, Max, Jane & Nick (Max's Brother)

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment