Friday, May 13, 2011

DC Part 2

YAY!  Blogger has been down since yesterday so I was not able to blog this morning!  Thank goodness it is back up and running =)

Yesterday I shared about our trip to Washington DC and there was just too much to put in one post! 

Not only did our kids get to play the concert at the WW ll Memorial but they had the high honor of taking part in the laying of the wreath at The Tomb of The Unknown Soldier!  Once we stepped onto the grounds you could sense that this was a place of honor and remembrance.  Looking across the cemetery in any direction all you saw was rows of tombstones.  We walked towards the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier and prepared for the ceremony.  The entire time we walked there was very little talking.  The closer we got to the top of the hill the louder the "clicking" noise got.  Once we could see, it was the guard clicking his heels every time he stopped and turned as he guarded the tomb.  We all sat down and just watched as he walked 21 steps, stopped and paused 21 seconds, did an about face and changed the side he carried his riffle, and then walked another 21 steps.....this is repeated over and over!  it sounds crazy, but we just sat there and watched this!  Over and over, for at least half an hour!  Then it was time to change the guards and the wreath.  Our Drum Major and ROTC walked out with the guard and took part in this sacred ceremony!  It was awesome!!!  They played Taps and in the distance we could hear the sound of a 231 Gun Salute!  There was a funeral taking place on the grounds.  I had goose bumps on top of goose bumps and tears running down my face.  I felt privileged and a sense of sadness.  At that very moment I wanted EVERYBODY to see what I was seeing, to feel what I was feeling!  Again I had my Dad on my mind and on my heart. 

After the guards changed and our kids had completed their mission, we all made our way back down the hill.  We then went to the grave site of JFK (and family).  It almost feels like you are back in time when you stand there.  I am so grateful that we were able to experience this trip.  It changed me in a way that I can't quiet describe.  It reminded me that there is so much more than my little corner of the world.  There have been so many families that have gone before us and sacrificed in order for us to have the liberty we have today.  It reminded me that God has been here all along the way and His hand and influence are rooted deep in this land!  Even if some do not acknowledge it, IT IS HERE!!!!!!  HE IS HERE!!!! 











Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment