Thursday, May 12, 2011

Washington DC

A couple of months ago Max and I had the opportunity to chaperon a trip to Washington DC with Hunter's school band.  We were very excited to be able to go and have the experience with Hunter.  It was a very long trip which we took on a charter bus!  I believe it was 22 hours!  The whole trip was amazing but there were a few events that had a special affect on my life.  I also have to add that I absolutely loved hanging out with the kids on this trip! 

So the first morning we were there the kids had the honor of playing a concert at the WWII Memorial.  It was a Sunday morning so there were not a lot of people there but at the end of the concert the band played a medley of songs (from each Branch of the military).  As they would start each branch's song the ROTC would walk out with that branches flag.  As I looked around I noticed several people standing with their hands over their heart.  Then my husband motioned for me to look over my shoulder and there were two old men, in uniform standing in full attention and soulting each flag as it pased by!  I was overtaken by emotion!  My mind went immediately to my Dad and my Grandfather (who both served during war time).  I walked off and pulled out my phone and called my Daddy (who I cannot remember the last time I talked to).  When he answered I could not stop crying!  All I wanted to do was tell him THANK YOU and I LOVE YOU!  I tried to explain to him what I had just witnessed but I was so emotional.  I had no idea that would have affected me like that.  Our whole group was affected by that experience and we couln't stop talking about it throughout the rest of our trip.

The last day we were there was kind of a free day.  The kids could choose whatever they wanted to do but they had to be in a group with an adult.  I had a group of 7 kids that wanted to go back to the Vietnam Wall.  We had all toured it a couple of nights before but it was dark.  So we had to walk over a MILE to get from where our bus left us to the Wall.  We finally made it and my feet HURT!!  haha  As we started our walk beside The Wall one of the kids noticed a note and flower laying by the Wall.  They asked why it was there and I explained to them that people leave "thank yous" to those that gave their lives for OUR FREEDOM AND LIBERTY'S!  Immediately one of the boys said, "I wanna leave a note" followed by another and another!  I dug out paper and pen from my purse and the whole group (who by this time were MY KIDS!), wrote a thank you note that they all signed and placed at The Wall!  I was so moved.  I fought back tears because this wall means something to me.  I don't know anyone on it but I know someone who is NOT!  My Daddy!  He fought in that war and while he may not have died a physical death he was never the same after.  I am glad his name is not on that wall.  I am grateful for the sacrifice they all made.  Watching those 7 high school kids think beyond themselves was something I feel privileged to have witnessed! 

There were MANY other life changing experiences during those few days in Washington DC and maybe one day I can share them ALL =)  Tomorrow I plan on sharing my experience at Arlington Cemetery.  Our ROTC and Band Major had the honor of participating in the laying of the wreath ceremony! 

I know that I have never been more proud to be an AMERICAN and more aware of how God's Hand blesses us everyday! 
Writing the "Thank You" note @ The Wall

                                                           
                                                                 They all signed the note

                                                             Placing the note at The Wall

                                                               Concert @ WW ll  Memorial
                                               These 2 men stood saluting the flags as each on passed!
                                                           This man stood at attention until the band finished
                                               My Daddy, Roger Dale McLelland, Vietnam Veteran


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. that brought a tear to my eye just reading it. I had looked at all the pictures you had posted on facebook, when you first came back. Glad you are writing the stories.
    I have never served, but I do have two uncles that did. I am very proud of all veterans, they deserve all the honor and thanks we can share with them.

    ReplyDelete